With winter’s cold around the corner, we decided to add a few pounds of delicious pre-cut stew meat to our cutting order last November. I wanted to be ready for comfort food weather! Ranch life is crazy busy and, many a day, I’m thankful for a delicious, ready-made slow cooker dinner. But we’re not talking gobs of canned soup, highly processed ingredients. You’re like me, I bet, scouring the ‘webs for super nutritious, Paleo-leaning recipes that satisfy the hunger, tickle the taste buds, and, most importantly, meet your nutritional goals. I came across one such beef stew recipe recently and have adapted it below. It’s incredibly flavorful and satisfying. So, let’s get cooking!
• 1 T ghee (clarified butter) or coconut oil
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp ground cloves or 3 whole cloves
• 1 tsp each salt & pepper
• 1 1/2 lbs NNB stew meat (or any NNB roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes) & drained well
• 1/2 C red wine
• 1 red onion, cut into small chunks
• 4 medium carrots, peeled & cut 2 inches long
• 4 cups potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
• 16 oz. mushrooms, halved
• 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes (or 2 pounds fresh, diced + 1 cup water)
• 2-3 cups kale or spinach, stem removed, cut into bite-size pieces
Heat a dutch oven over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add fat, spices and herbs, and 1/2 the beef, leaving space between each piece. Brown for 5 minutes. Transfer to your slow cooker, then add remaining beef to dutch oven, browning 5 minutes and transfer. Add wine, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes to deglaze the pan. Scrape all into slow cooker.
Add carrots, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, then tomatoes over all. Cover and cook for 7 hours on low.
Stir in kale or spinach, cover and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
adapted from Cate Ritter, Cate’s Nutrition Kitchen
Update July 2018: yeah, it’s hot this time of year, but it’s also a crazy busy season on the ranch, and probably at your house, too, so tonight? Meaty, vegalisic, full-flavor deliciousness for dinner! Let this simmering crock of comfort food tantalize your senses as you pull out the bowls and a little chilled red, and prepare to indulge!