Even though we don’t usually think of a nice warm bowl of beef soup being the star of summertime dining, this recipe’s fresh herbal flavors and crisp, sweet summer veggies make it the perfect – and EASY – go-to comfort food even during these hotter months. It’ll fill your kitchen with absolutely amazing aromas and your hungry bellies with delicious, always nutritious Nitschke Natural Beef grassfed goodness. We’ve adapted our version of Mexican Summer Beef Soup from a State Fair of Texas 1st Place winner from years back. I think you’ll agree with us that it’s completely worthy of that distinction.
6-8 servings, but doubles easily for a crowd – or once-agains!
• 2 pounds NNBeef Roast, cut into 1-inch chunks, or 1 pkg NNBeef Stew Meat
• 2 large onions, cut in 16 pieces each
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 T ground cumin, or to taste (We LOVE cumin around here!)
• 2 T coconut oil
• 4 cups strong beef stock (great use for a batch of Bone Broth)
• 4 cups water
• 4 lg cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp pepper
• 1 bunch cilantro, washed and coarsely chopped
• 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
• 9 red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1″ chunks
• 4 ears fresh corn, cut from cob, or frozen kernels (organic = nonGMO)
• 2 medium zucchini and/or yellow squash; quarter lengthwise, cut spears into 1″ slices
• flour tortillas or tortilla chips
• avocado slices or chunks (optional)
Brown beef with onions, garlic powder and cumin in oil. Add stock, water, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and half the cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
Add carrots, corn and potatoes; continue simmering until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add squash and return to a boil; simmer 5 minutes. Squash should remain crisp-tender.
Add remaining chopped cilantro just before removing from heat. Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with cilantro sprigs and (optional) avocado, and serve with flour tortillas or chips and a simple citrus & greens salad with lime juice and honey. Let those fresh summer flavors delight your family and guests!